Friday 8 April 2011

Odds 'n' Ends


What is it about crocheter's collective hatred/fear/denial (delete as appropriate) of weaving in ends?  After my last post, quite a few people responded (quite rightly) that it's best to sew in as you go, otherwise you face the devastating prospect of having to do them ALL AT ONCE.  Lots of people - and I'm firmly situated in this category - consider end-sewing a sort of yarnpocalypse.


It seems odd in a way, because so many crocheters also list sewing in their interests.  I enjoy sewing.  My love of cross stitch at the age of 8 is probably what kick-started all this crafty stuff in the first place.  And yet I find sewing in yarn ends utterly tedious.  Maybe it's because there's nothing really creative involved...  with crocheting, knitting or sewing you watch something grow and take shape.  With sewing in, exactly the opposite happens - you're hiding the progress from yourself.  That's just DULL.

Plus, you're confronted by things like this:


...which is just nightmare material really.

You'll be relieved to hear that I have started the weaving in...


...the rest are just hiding underneath ;)

7 comments:

SARITHA@RAINBOWBUNTING said...

I hate weaving in ends too!!And that third pic does look scary. Hope you are making good progress with it!!Looks lovely!!

sara said...

Lovely crochet, my crochet blanket has been sitting on top of my work basket for far too long, I posted it on ravelry to try and shift myself to get it finished, but seeing your gorgeous blanket has given me incentive to get on with it. I was religiously sewing in the ends after every square was added as I knew there was no way I'd sew all the ends in at the finish.
lily x

Inthesky said...

This blanket just gets better and better, I am with you on the end sewing in malarkey, it has put me off for a bit...it was sending me doolally!

Sarah Jones said...

Sewn in ends or not I really like your your crochet design so far. Are you using stylecraft yarn?

Shanti said...

I do it when I have little time and don't want to think much... Your piece is looking great!

Amy said...

Loving all your pretty squares!

Unknown said...

I am definitely not a fan of weaving in ends either... but it comes with the territory. :)