Thursday 21 April 2011

Springtime Hexagon [Free Pattern]


I don't know about you, but Spring is making me VERY happy this year.  Especially now that all of the delicate little flowers are blooming


These little flowers definitely inspired me to make this hexagon... I hope you like it :)

Pattern

Before we begin, just a few little notes as a bit of a guide.  As you can see above, I made a few different sizes by stopping at different points and by varying the weight of yarn and the size of the hook.  The tutorial will guide you through all the steps needed to make the biggest hexagon (which measures approximately 4-4.5 inches before blocking), but hopefully the step-by-step pictures will help you to see how the hexagon looks after each round.

Notes

As usual, the pattern is written using US terms.  For this hexagon I used DK yarn and a 4mm hook.

sp = space
sl st = slip stitch
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
hdc = half double crochet
dc = double crochet

Round 1
To begin, ch4 and join with sl st into the first chain to form a circle.


Round 2
Ch1, and work 1dc, 1hdc, ch1 into the circle.  Then work *1hdc, 1dc, 1hdc, ch1*  Repeat between * 5 times - you will have 6 clusters in total.  Join with a sl st into the top of the first ch1.


Round 3
Change colour.  Join your new colour into any ch1 sp.  [Ch1, 2dc, 1hdc, ch1] in the same sp.  [1hdc, 2dc, 1hdc, ch1] in each of the next 5 ch1 sps.  Join with a sl st to the top of the first ch1.


Round 4
Change colour.  Join your new colour into any sp between clusters.  In this round you will be creating the "corners" of your hexagon:  [Ch1, 1dc, ch2, 1dc, 1hdc, ch2] into the same sp.  [1hdc, 1dc, ch2, 1dc, 1hdc, ch2] into each of the next 5 sps around.  Join with a sl st to the top of the first ch1.



Note that this was the point at which I stopped for the smaller hexagons.

Round 5
Change colour.  Join your new colour into any ch2 corner sp (ie: the 'pointy bit' of the hexagons).  Work (Ch1, 2hdc, ch2, 3hdc, ch1) into this sp.  *In the next ch2 sp, work (3hdc, ch1), and into the next ch2 corner sp, work (3hdc, ch2, 3hdc, ch1)*  Repeat between * 5 times.  In the final ch2 sp, work (3hdc, ch1), and then join with a sl st into the top of the first ch1.


Round 6
Change colour.  Join new colour into any ch2 corner sp.  Into this corner sp, work (Ch2, 2dc, ch2, 3dc).  *Into the next 2 ch1 sps, work 3dc.  Into the next ch2 corner sp, work (3dc, ch2, 3dc).*  Repeat between * until the round is finished.


If you want to make your hexagon bigger, just keep going!  Just remember that on each round you want to make a (3dc, ch2, 3dc) cluster into each corner sp, and a 3dc cluster into each sp between clusters along the 'straight' edges, just as you did in round 6:


And there you have it!  These would work great for a blanket, a cushion cover, a bag.... the possibilities are - as they say - endless!  Experiment with hook sizes and yarn weights to find what works best for you :)

ETA: there is now a Ravelry project page for this pattern here

20 comments:

sara said...

Thanks for the hexie pattern, I'm quite new to crochet but will try and grab some time over easter and have a go at making them.
lily x

Ruth said...

Very pretty. Spring is in the air, that's for sure.

priscilla said...

thank you for the pattern ! so pretty !

Nicole said...

Thanks for the tutorial :-) This is a lovely new take on the hexagon, it's nice to have something a bit different to try! x

Shanti said...

I looove the final piece!! thanks for sharing the pattern!

Sarah Jones said...

Your hexagon pattern is very pretty. You are enthusiastic about all your projects and this comes across well in your blog. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

Gumbo Lily said...

You're amazing!

Jody

theresasthisnthat said...

Thanks for the pattern, can't wait to try it! Love the color combinations.

Carina said...

So glad I found this, cause I was looking for a hexagon pattern now. I've finished a few of my little projects and need something new. Love the colours! Also started my odds-&-ends bottle in the beginning of the year! Love it. Have a good week. Carina x

needlekrafter said...

to this day, this is the loveliest hexagon pattern and use of color that I have seen. thanks so much for sharing this lovely pattern. :)

Laura said...

Thank you so much! I've been searching for a good motif for a self-designed skirt pattern and this is perfect! I can't wait to use them for my Easter/spring ensemble!!

SirloinMasta said...

I LOVE this hexagon. I had to makeparty favors for a Christmas party just recently and I used this pattern to make ornaments, both stars and stockings. If you fold a hex in half along the flat side (not a point) you can stitch a cute itsy stocking. Anyway. I love it. I also made a centerpiece mat thing and got tons of complements. Thanks for the post!

Unknown said...

I really like this pattern but I can't get to print. I never had this problem before so if anybody has any ideas that can help me? Let me know, Thanks, Shirley S.

Clara said...

I did it, Shirley (using printfriendly.com).... but I can't find your email to send you the pdf. If you want, contact me....
This pattern is so lovely, thank you for sharing, Kim!

Tamara - Moogly said...

Fantastic pattern! Featured today on Moogly: 10 Free Hexagon Patterns! :) http://www.mooglyblog.com/free-crochet-hexagon-patterns/ :D

Anonymous said...

Thank you! turning these into some victorian gloves! I finally get to make something for myself.

Amy L said...

Thank you so much for this pattern, it is super easy and beautiful to make when you use any color combination.

Unknown said...

Have you joined these? I am struggling with the curved edge? Any advice?

Anonymous said...

I love your choice in colors! What yarn are you using?

Unknown said...

Awesome. I made it, loved it. Thank you so much.