Oh dear oh dear. I must apologise! It's been SUCH a long time since I posted. I'm not neglecting you all, I promise! I still read as many blogs as I can, but sadly I've had little time to leave any comments recently.
In my absense I've been busy working away on a new blanket. It's still in the fairly early stages, but most of the coloured squares are now finished. I've even sewn in the ends!
Such a lovely jumble of colour and chaos, don't you think? I love the yarn too - King Cole Riot DK makes a great Noro-ish substitute (especially for those working on a less than Noro budget!). It's wonderfully soft and drapes brilliantly. A perfect blanket yarn so far!
The pattern I'm using is based on Jan Eaton's Solid Square, although I made the following modifcations (noted here using American abbreviations):
I replaced the ch3 in the first round with a dc (this helped to close the little gap that had been appearing). In the second round the ch3 became a ch2. I made up the third round as I went along: a ch1, 1hdc in same space, 1hdc in each subsequent space, and 2hdc, 1dc - 1dc, 2hdc in the corners. With these mods, each block came out at approx 6cm square.
Now all that remains is to decide how to join the squares up. I've ordered some cream acrylic, which should hopefully arrive soon, and in the meantime I can plot out the border.
I'm also very happy to report that yesterday I finally found the patterns and ideas I scribbled down a few weeks back. To my astonishment there are 4 different patterns and various odd doodles, most of which I have no recollection of ever doing! Being such a scatterbrain, I didn't leave any clues as to what the patterns would make, so it'll be a nice surprise later when I sit down with some yarn and decipher them. :) My fingers are crossed that I'll be able to share the patterns with you all very soon!